What should I do if I think I have a gas leak?
If you're concerned that you may have a gas leak, the first thing to do is make sure you're safe.
If possible, switch off your gas immediately via the meter and then contact the National Gas Service Emergency Line via 0800 111 999.
Follow these steps to remain safe:
- Do not light matches, use cigarette lighters or smoke
- Don’t turn light switches or any electrics on or off and don’t use your mobile phone
- Put out any existing naked flames straight away
- Open all doors and windows
What should I do if I have a power cut?
If you have a power cut, call 105 to be connected to your local power distributor. They will check the wires that connect you to the grid and will work to get your power switched back on as quickly as possible.
If you require more information on power cuts, go to www.powercut105.com - you can also use this service to find out who your local network operator is.
What should I do if my gas stops working?
If you notice that none of your gas appliances are working, such as your gas hob, but you can't smell gas, then you should contact National Grid Metering on 0800 001 4340. They will help you determine the next steps and, if required, arrange for a new gas meter to be fitted.
What should I do if my electricity stops working?
If your electricity stops working but you aren’t sure if it’s due to a power cut in your area, follow these steps to determine the cause of the problem:
- Check if the power loss has only occurred in certain parts of your home. This could be a sign that there is a problem with your electrical wiring. In this instance, it’s best to call a qualified electrician as soon as possible.
- Find out if your neighbours still have electricity. If they do, then the fault may be within your home. Perhaps your trip switch has turned itself off.
- Check your fuse box to ensure the master switch is turned on. If it's off, try turning it back on again. If it turns off again, this is a sign that one of your plugged in electrical appliances is faulty. Your trip switch turns off to ensure that a faulty appliance doesn’t cause an injury or household accident to occur. Once you have located the faulty appliance and switched it off, your power should stay on.