The communication system has been designed with security in mind to prevent hacking. Unlike most smart devices, smart meters don’t connect to the internet or to your home Wi-Fi network. This means there is no risk of hackers using them to access other devices on your network. Instead, they communicate over a closed, secure private network. This removes the threat posed by hackers.
Articles in this section
- Smart Meter Instructions & Energy Efficiency Guide
- Do I need to have a Smart meter?
- Smart Metering Installation Code of Practice
- What does ‘No WAN’ or ‘No HAN’ mean?
- Can smart meters be hacked?
- Are smart meters bad for my health?
- Will my supply be switched off when a smart meter is installed?
- When will I get my second generation (SMETs2) smart meter?
- I already have a smart meter; do I still need a new smart meter?
- Do I need to be home for a smart meter installation?